Introducing your interactive induction experience...
Help new directors step up on your Board
If you have a formal Board induction program, you understand how challenging it can be to get everyone on the same page and working together as a team. New Directors need a suitable amount of training before their first Board meeting as well as ongoing support during their first twelve months. In a recent industry survey we were swamped with stories of Directors who felt completely mystifyed by their inductions. Take this response:
"I had a couple of hours on a video-conference link which was very helpful for that role, but still totally unprepared for directors' responsibilities."
Traditional Board induction packs can also leave new Directors disengaged (even before they begin). This can be challenging especially if you want them to reach their potential quickly but don’t have the time to coach them personally through this transition.
"I had no idea what to expect and felt intimidated by a chairman who controlled meetings as well as access to information."
- All the Directors who undertook your Board induction were confident and prepared at their first meeting.
- Each of your new Directors was asking the right questions, reading and participating in all Board papers and discussions.
- All new Directors were enthusiatic about their tenure, and brought fresh insights to the table, even if they are volunteers with little to no formal experience.
What makes this program different?
“Induction Insights For Directors” is designed to be a strategic supplement to your existing Board induction program: so you can be certain none of your Directors are under-prepared or unsure how to add real value.
“Induction Insights For Directors” will leave new directors prepared for their first Board meeting and ongoing service on your Board.
This course is a series of 10 powerful videos and downloadable resources, designed to be enjoyed in the comfort of your living room (with a glass of wine or cup of coffee in hand), in conjunction with your Board Induction pack. There is no additional reading or coursework. So sit back, relax, and discover just how productive your Board Induction can be.
*Keep in mind this program requires an internet connection.
The Program Outline
- Understanding and using your strategic plan
"Get to know your strategic plan. Use the plan to shape your questions around the board table. Monitor how you are going according to the plan." --Induction Insight user, Jane Elizabeth Bollen
- How to read and use your Vision statement
"It is critical all board members know the 'why'. The 'why' is what makes us smile about we are doing - or it should. Otherwise we have lost our way. Understanding the 'why' will ensure the board does not stray too far from the track." -- Induction Insight user, Velia Nicholls
- How to use your board policies
"Policies guide directors away from liability traps." --Induction Insight user, Scott Alexander
- Extracting strategic insights from your financial reports
"Cashflow needs to be monitored and a good way to understand what is going on, and what is about to happen is to attend finance committee meetings, with your statements in hand." --Induction Insight user, Kathy Godwin
- Tips on what to look for in your constitution, rules and by-laws
"Understand...our dispute mediation clauses...How is voted carried out at the board meetings...how often can I as a director be voted in?" --Induction Insight user, Melissa Cromarty
- What your Statement of Director Duties means to you
"Great insights into what is meant by duty of care in relation to Board duties, how conflict of interest is not necessarily bad but is an essential element of Duty of Loyalty..." --Induction Insight user, Kathy Godwin
- Understanding and using your Risk Management Plan
"Identifying risk is an opportunity for us to learn more and find ways to reduce the risk." --Induction Insight user, Kathy Godwin
- Getting the most from your induction -- mentoring
"Knowing that we can ask is empowering, thank you. This is a positive way to facilitate feedback on performance especially if one wants to be as effective as possible." --Induction Insight user, Samantha
For existing Directors -- Leveraging the power of your Board
- How to stop micromanaging -- operational vs strategic
"This is the bane of our Board and Committees. Thank you for this clear message. I need to make it my automatic mantra." --Induction Insight user, Dr Beverley Begg
- Re-induction for existing Board members
"Re-induction provides an opportunity for all Directors serving more than 12 to regroup, self-reflect , and reconnect to the organisation, particularly after a period of rapid change." --Induction Insight user, Kathy Godwin
Bonus Material (Over $225 worth of extra value)
- Access to over 9+ PDFs and templates from our library of resources. These additional downloads are packed with questions, tools and research material to complement the materials from your induction pack (Only avaliable with the premium product).
- The 'Directors' Compendium' (eBook): A complete cross section of information covering strategy, strategic planning, governance, risk management and leadership for new and experienced Directors. Challenge your understanding of these concepts through case studies, articles and research designed to be easily consumed over an extended period of time. Use this as a guiding manual and return to the concepts as your career advances and your experience deepens. The material has been developed over decades of field work from Conscious Governance, and thousands of hours of consulting work with leading organizations.
- Induction Program Template: Ideal for new inductees to track their progress as they work their way through their induction material. Chair and/or Governance Committee can also use this to map against their existing induction program, and see if there are any gaps in their induction pack for new Directors.
- Board member expectations worksheet: This provides a framework for new Directors to identify their responsibilities whilst sitting on the Board. Maintaining a high standard of behavior and conduct is crucial for formative Directors to meet and exceed the requirements of the Board. This worksheet can be adapted to suit the individual requirements of any organization.